Fall is the time of year that is calling us to make a change. You may want to change your look up or check the length of your natural hair. A silk press style is a common alternative to curly natural hair this time of year. While I usually encourage you to know how to style your own hair. Applying heat is one area I suggest you leave to a professional. However, I do suggest you have have ways to make this style last longer without applying more heat after the initial styling. Keep reading for my tips on maintaining your silk press longer.
1. Start with squeaky clean hair to set the stage for lightweight flowing silky smooth hair.
2. Follow my tips to maximize moisture during your conditioning process.
3. Clean your comb and brushes often, every 2-3 days by rinsing with hot water and a sprayer.
4. Use a clean silk scarf every night. I like to keep a few clean and handy to rotate. Even if you don’t apply additional oil to your hair, your scalp produces oil that ends up on your scarf and gets reapplied to your hair weighing it down.
5. Use a clean pillow case every night. Some of us opt for a silk pillow case over wrapping our hair in a scarf. Either way changing your pillow case daily is a good practice for healthy skin and hair.
6. Brush your hair up in a smooth ponytail and secure with hairpins to hold it in place as opposed to wrapping your hair around your head. This method keeps the length of your hair away from your scalp making it less likely to absorb oil.
7. Brush your hair daily with your clean brush. This practice helps fight frizz and removes shed hair making breakage less likely.
Proper planning and patience are key to a stress free natural hair maintenance regimen.
I hope these tips take your silk press a little longer. Let me know how they work out for you in the comments.
Love and light sisters,
12/16/2020 03:54:32 pm
Loving the tips!!!
1/13/2021 03:00:05 pm
I don't wear a silk press but loved the information regarding the replacing every night for your pillow case and silk scarf. Also the cleaning of your comb and brush every 2 to 3 days. Very helpful.
12/23/2020 03:06:31 pm
My friend is always struggling with her natural hair and complains all the time about how difficult it is to take care of. I'll have to share your advice to have a silk cloth handy at night or even a silk pillowcase that she can use. For her Christmas present this year, maybe I'll find some of these and also look into a hair salon that I can introduce her to that knows how to care for her type of hair so that she can maintain its natural beauty.
Leave a Reply.
Virtual Hair Care
EAT YOUR VEGGIES