Fall is the time of year that is calling us to make a change. You may want to change your look up or check the length of your natural hair. A silk press style is a common alternative to curly natural hair this time of year. While I usually encourage you to know how to style your own hair. Applying heat is one area I suggest you leave to a professional. However, I do suggest you have have ways to make this style last longer without applying more heat after the initial styling. Keep reading for my tips on maintaining your silk press longer.
1. Start with squeaky clean hair to set the stage for lightweight flowing silky smooth hair.
2. Follow my tips to maximize moisture during your conditioning process.
3. Clean your comb and brushes often, every 2-3 days by rinsing with hot water and a sprayer.
4. Use a clean silk scarf every night. I like to keep a few clean and handy to rotate. Even if you don’t apply additional oil to your hair, your scalp produces oil that ends up on your scarf and gets reapplied to your hair weighing it down.
5. Use a clean pillow case every night. Some of us opt for a silk pillow case over wrapping our hair in a scarf. Either way changing your pillow case daily is a good practice for healthy skin and hair.
6. Brush your hair up in a smooth ponytail and secure with hairpins to hold it in place as opposed to wrapping your hair around your head. This method keeps the length of your hair away from your scalp making it less likely to absorb oil.
7. Brush your hair daily with your clean brush. This practice helps fight frizz and removes shed hair making breakage less likely.
Proper planning and patience are key to a stress free natural hair maintenance regimen.
I hope these tips take your silk press a little longer. Let me know how they work out for you in the comments.
Love and light sisters,
I am Ebonee, a licensed natural hair stylist dedicated to educating women about making healthy lifestyle choices that create beautiful healthy natural hair.
I grew up having a love/hate relationship with my natural hair. Choosing to love my own natural hair at an early age taught me to patiently care for others.
I help women who are overwhelmed with managing their natural hair. My services focus on teaching naturals my simple step by step process to maintaining their hair at home, how to use their products well, and replacing damaging products, tool, and styles with healthy options.
You are at the right place to begin your journey to healthy natural hair.
I look forward to helping you grow and maintain healthy natural hair!
EAT YOUR VEGGIES